Mutual Benefit and Friendly Society
POLISH HALL, 154 Pearl St.
|The Coat of
Arms of Poland
consists of a White Eagle on a red shield. The Eagle is wearing a
In Poland, the Coat of Arms is usually called simply White Eagle
BiaÅ‚y), and it is always capitalized. MORE...
of Polish Community in Brantford Vol. 2
in 1929 another Polish youth group was formed, under the name of The
Eagle Association. Its purpose also was to carry on the cultural and
activities among the Polish people in Brantford. The Association
until April 9, 1032, when, upon the initiative of Mr. Marcin Sasiela,
majority of the members made the decision to join the Polish Alliance
Canada, an organization existing in Ontario for over 20 years and
nine branches in different districts. A week lather, all the
were taken care of and a new branch of the Polish Alliance of Canada
its existence with 16 members. It became Branch No.10, with Mr. Tadeusz
Stachurski as its first president.
years of this organization
were difficult, burdened as it was with financial problems, as the
of the previous Association was frozen. The money was badly needed for
financing an English and Polish school. Until 1938, dances, concerts
shows were held in rented quarters to provide a fund for educational
By the end
of 1938 the decision
was made to purchase a house for Branch No.10 of the Polish Alliance of
Canada, and in January of 1939 the building at 126 Albion Street was
for the amount of $2,500. This building was enlarged in 1950, with
spent on the addition. Again in 1965-1966 another $185,000 was
towards further enlargement and improvements. At that time the total
of the Polish Alliance Branch No.10 property at 126 Albion Street, The
Polish School at William Street, parking lots and a summer resort was
In 1934 the
of Branch No.10 was formed and was very active in development of the
It was a member of the local Council of Women as well as of the Head
of the Polish Alliance Ladies' Circle in Ontario. Since the purchase of
the Polish Home a Youth Circle was also formed. The Club provided a
for them to meet socially. All members of the organization, young and
were engaged in social and cultural activities.
this Youth Circle
of Branch No.10 which was responsible for the publication of a
magazine, "Jak Tam Idzie," (How Goes It There?). It began in 1954 as a
local project, but its popularity grew so rapidly that, before long,
were being distributed throughout Ontario and Quebec. Some even reached
far away countries.
approximately twenty pages,
its contents covered club activities, news and articles of interest by
many qualified people. It proved to be so successful that in 1959 its
was taken over by the Central Executive of the Polish Canadian Alliance
Youth and is now a permanent part of that organization.
all the youth groups
of Polish organizations in Brantford, the Polish Canadian Alliance
Club sought opportunities to develop leadership qualities in its
and to become an asset to the community as a whole. An example of their
own valuable contribution in this regard was a Polish radio program
originated. It was carried for two years on Brantford's radio station,
CKPC. The entire program was written and directed by the young members
of the local Polish Canadian Youth Club. One can surmise from this what
an important segment of the Polish community are its young people.
the future of
this young generation, Branch No. 10 of the Polish Alliance has set up
scholarship and a bursary for the children of its members attending
And it was for the sake of these young people that the Alliance
a Polish School, providing music and dancing lessons. Through the years
two orchestras have been formed. In addition, the Polish Library
started by the former White Eagle Association functioned well with the
value of books and facilities of $1,500.
Alliance also extended
a helping hand to the new immigrant. That was one of the reasons why,
the beginning of 1958, a Credit Union was organized, with Mr. Stanislaw
Bednarz as its first president. The Credit-Union was bi-lingual and had
300 members. Net profit had grown in nine years from $998.17 to
yearly. Since the start of that venture, 350 loans have been granted
an amount well over $600,000.
Branch No. 10
of the Polish Alliance belonged to the Shrine Club of Brantford and
other organizations. They joined with the rest of Brantford in
towards worthy causes. From 1939 to 1966 a total of $18,000 was donated
to various charitable organizations, including the Brantford Shriners,
Red Cross, both local hospitals, Community Chest, and many others.
In 1966 the
also took part in the celebration of 1,000 years of Christianity in
and contributed greatly towards the Canadian Polish Millennium Fund set
up for educational and cultural purposes of Polish Canadians.
education" were the basic aims of Branch No. 10 of the Polish Alliance,
and judging by their deeds, they didn't been empty words.
Citizens 1967 Centennial Year
Front Row: Mrs.
88; Mrs. A. Smierciak, 90; Mrs. A Drozdz, 77.
Second Row: Mr.
77; Mr. Stanley Neziol, 93; Mr. Joseph Wiacek, 82.
list with names of all Past Presidents since establishment of the
Polish Mutual Benefit and Friendly Society, from 1927 until now.
on a team NOW!
Become part of
dart or pool leagues,
organize your own game or league, rent game room for social, family or
corporate games or just come out and have a good time.