Mutual Benefit and Friendly Society
POLISH HALL, 154 Pearl St.
|The Coat of
Arms of Poland
consists of a White Eagle on a red shield. The Eagle is wearing a
In Poland, the Coat of Arms is usually called simply White Eagle
BiaÅ‚y), and it is always capitalized. MORE...
of Polish Community in Brantford Vol. 4
Second World War
broke out the Polish community was ready to come to the aid of country
which its parents had adopted. It is unknown for a Pole to be a
And there were no exceptions in Brantford. One hundred young men and
from the Polish community enlisted. This number was remarkable since
were first-generation Poles who were giving up the opportunity of
their higher education and the possibility of becoming future leaders
the Polish community. Three of this number lost their lives in action.
They were: J. Czach, Army; A. Zatonski, Air Force; and J. Dubicki, Navy.
|At the end
of the Second
World War it was natural that the surviving young men, having the
bond of war experience should group themselves into a veteran's
Thus it was that in 1947 the Polonaise Veteran's Club was organized in
Brantford. Mr. Leo Drozd was installed as its first president. Other
of the executive were: Vice-president, Adam Neziol; secretary, Adolphe
Wiacek; treasurer, Joseph Dostal.
offering a gathering
place for Polish Canadian veterans of Second World War, the Polonaise
became a valuable asset in the youth movement in the Polish community.
By sponsoring a program of baseball, basketball and hockey, they aided
in the development of a "sound mind in a healthy body" of the Polish
This has been one of the Club's main activities. Neither have they
the education field. The Polonaise Veterans also have scholarships for
their young people attending universities.
have not restricted their activities to their own circle. Cooperating
other veterans' organizations in the city, they have competed annually
in golf, softball, cribbage and bowling, winning at one time or another
championships in each of these sports.
possess a proud
record of financial assistance to community projects, as well as an
history of supporting the activities of the other Brantford
organizations. During 1966 the Club's members provided valuable aid to
the committee promoting the Commemoration of the Polish Millennium of
in the Brantford area. With Mr. Edward Mech as their president, the
Veterans were participating enthusiastically in the Centennial program
to the Polonaise
Veterans was the Polish Combatants' Association in Canada, Branch No.
an important element in the community life of the Polish ethnic group
in far-away Italy,
the nucleus of the Polish Combatants' Association consisted of former
of the Second Polish Army Corps which formed a part of the Allied Eight
Army during protest against the Communist regime imposed on Poland,
chose rather to settle in the Free World. These soldiers entered under
an agreement with the Canadian authorities, to work for two years on
The Federal Government guaranteed at least a minimum wage and
worked out their contracts in the vicinity of Brantford. Problems
arose. As there were no pre-set daily or weekly working hours, the
paid only a minimum wage which became the maximum. To obtain some
protection these ex-servicemen decided to form a local branch of the
Polish Combatants' Association.
7, 1947, Branch No. 4 of this Association was established in Brantford
despite lack of accommodations for its quarters and the serious problem
of transportation which faced its members. Its first officers were: Mr.
John Jezowski, president; Mr. Anthony Szymczak, vice-president; Mr.
Michalski, secretary; Mr. Zygmund Drzewianowski, treasurer.
terms of the contracts
were completed, most of these Polish veterans settled in Brantford,
giving Branch No. 4 a permanent basis for its existence. As other
veterans arrived in Brantford, singly or in larger groups, the
grew in strength. Also many of its initial problems were alleviated by
the cooperation of Brantford's Royal Canadian Legion, Branch 90. This
action has never been forgotten by the local branch of the Polish
In general, this relationship between the Polish Combatants'
and the Canadian veterans, a relationship which began on the
of Europe, has always been cordial and sincere.
|In 1960 a
became affiliated with Branch No. 4 of the Polish Combatants'
Mostly wives of ex-servicemen, they have been most helpful in the
work and social life of the Association.
financial help and made effort to ensure that its young people through
education obtain a better start in life and also, don't forget their
language and culture. Social life was not neglected. Clubs, dances,
evenings and lectures kept the young and old busy. Propagating loyalty
to their adopted country and the conscientious observance of the duties
of Canadian citizenship, it also organized celebrations of Polish
and military anniversaries. Together with the Canadian veterans, the
Combatants' aid those disabled in the war, comrades from the field of
invalids whose injuries have made them incapable of obtaining useful
Remarkable were the fund-raising drives conducted for that purpose by
Polish Combatants' Association in the years 1951 to 1954 inclusive.
the facilities of Brantford's radio station CKPC, they made their
to all the Poles within listening distance of that station. The
of the Polish colony in Brantford and its environs was heart-warming,
surpassing any expectations. Through the money thus raised, packages
sent to war invalids throughout the world. Thus it was in many corner
the world Brantford acquired a reputation as a humanitarian city.
contribute to the upkeep of the graves of their fallen
"Decoration Day" for them is truly a "remembrance day," keeping alive,
"on a soldier's honor" the memory of those who gave their lives for
The yearly evidence is there to prove it.
short, is how the
manifold activities of the Polish Combatants' Association, Branch
No. 4, present themselves, carried out gladly by its members of all
with the full hearted help of their wives in the Ladies' Circle. Their
cooperation with all the other Polish organizations in Brantford is
Many a community project was ably assisted by their willing
in it. The Polish Combatants' Association, Branch No. 4, in Brantford,
with Mr. Joseph Pacyk as its president, was carrying that same willing
spirit into centennial year.
list with names of all Past Presidents since establishment of the
Polish Mutual Benefit and Friendly Society, from 1927 until now.
Citizens 1967 Centennial Year
Front Row: Mrs.
88; Mrs. A. Smierciak, 90; Mrs. A Drozdz, 77.
Second Row: Mr.
77; Mr. Stanley Neziol, 93; Mr. Joseph Wiacek, 82.
Proverbs, they are available in Polish and English language.
|We have just
the right place
for your next Super Bowl Party, Soccer Party or any other Theme Night.
Affordable rental for your entertainment needs. Please
HERE for more info.